EdTech Professional Development Video Courses
Watch and learn about trending topics in educational technology, with clear how-to's and ideas for classroom use. Follow links on the left to find courses by category, or browse the entire collection.
A 1:1 Implementation Guide
No plan is too thorough when it comes to bringing EdTech devices into your students' hands.
So you're ready to launch your students full-speed-ahead into edtech success? Congratulations! Truly, there is nothing better than stumbling upon some much-needed school funding and deciding to put it to work within a 1:1 learning environment implementation. Even if you have the funds, the good intentions, and the supportive community in check, there's much more that goes into starting and sustaining a successful 1:1 program, and Lesson Planet PD is here to keep your feet on the ground.
Knowledge is power, and you'll need tons of it to lead your students, community members, board members, and other stakeholders through this process. Take all the time you need to ask the proper questions:
- What are our 1:1 goals and objectives?
- How does such a program guarantee improved instruction and learning?
- Why choose this device over another revolutionary edtech tool?
Developing answers to the how's, what's, and why's before the devices even touch human hands is a great way to keep everyone happy through every step of the implementation process. Encourage research, communication, and collaboration before and during your school's 1:1 program: ample planning may be the only difference between an accomplished and failed edtech revolution in your community. Of course, give your students time to adapt to their new tools, and record their experiences along the way. And remember: unforeseeable bumps and bruises along the way are just fine (but getting durable cases on those devices isn't a bad idea, either…)
If at the end of these episodes you still have questions, then you're doing this course right. Get in touch with us through the Feedback link under the Materials tab. Setting up a thorough 1:1 implementation plan isn't easy, we know, but you'll be glad you started yours right with our experienced PD team.
Under the Episodes tab, you'll find the following 1:1 Implementation episodes. Watch one, watch all, until you've confidently got your school's 1:1 plan under your thumb.
1. Introduction (5:19) — Not all 1:1 learning environments are created equal; plan and implement your objectives the smart way.
2. Case Study - What not to do! (6:03) — Just because you have the tools doesn't mean you're home free.
3. Climate for Success (5:18) — New toys are wonderful, but even the best toys can become enemies fast without a clear purpose.
4. Preparing to Plan - The Questioning Process (2:37) — There is no such thing as a stupid question when it comes to a successful 1:1 program.
5. Exploration & Research (2:07) — Getting the facts before getting the devices is key, and remember to include all your stakeholders.
6. Budgeting & Funding (3:54) — Buying the devices is only half the battle; get your budget-bases covered from start to finish.
7. Piloting (2:33) — From one month to one year, take your time with the new toys to determine pros, cons, and next steps.
8. Legal (4:13) — With so many acronyms to keep kids protected already in place, all you have to do is get familiar.
9. Infrastructure (5:18) — Strap on your note-taking boots for this hefty checklist you'll be glad you covered early on.
10. Adoption (3:44) — Set students up for success with a slow, encouraging rollout process.
11. Professional Development (2:48) — Get in the know and stay there with essential, ongoing PD for teachers, parents, even board members.
12. Communication (4:55) — One foolproof way to step on zero toes: keep everyone on the same page with ample updates!
13. Sustainability (1:23) — There are many ways to keep a 1:1 program alive and well. Which methods will suit your school?
14. Feedback (0:48) — Is the proof in the pudding? Let us know how this course improved your 1:1 approach.
Total course run-time: 51:00