EdTech Professional Development Video Courses
Watch and learn about trending topics in educational technology, with clear how-to's and ideas for classroom use. Follow links on the left to find courses by category, or browse the entire collection.
For word processing, and so much more! Build classroom community, foster college and career readiness, communicate easily with parents, and organize teams.
With the advent of the Common Core, we recognize the ability to work collaboratively is an essential component of college and career readiness. And that's not even counting the fun you can have when you work together. The teamwork-fostering, easy usability of Google Documents is perfectly suited to help your class develop these skills. Plus, you can build community among students and parents by cultivating communication and responding to parent and student needs easily by sharing documents online.
This course contains useful instruction for Google Docs users of various skill levels, so feel free to view episodes in order, or skip around and watch the ones with information you need most. Using a parent newsletter as an example, we guide you all the way from basic word processing to using special tools unique to Google Docs. And you can watch again anytime for a quick refresher.
Under the Episodes tab, you'll find the following Google Documents episodes that help you master skills like easy text formatting, including graphic elements, tracking changes, commenting and collaboration, and much more. Watch these episodes in any order and as many times as you like to feel comfortable using Google Documents in your classroom—in fact, use it just about anywhere with Internet access!
1. Introduction (1:43)
- Work more effectively. Have more fun doing so.
2. Logging In (1:39)
- Open the door to document creation and storage
3. Docs Home (2:23)
- Get to know the Doc "lobby" where you can organize and manage your files
4. Creating a New Doc (1:34)
- Start a new document. Piece o' cake.
5. Toolbar (1:52)
- Format your text like a pro, with the fewest possible clicks.
6. Additional Formatting (2:49)
- Make your documents function professionally and look as polished as can be!
7. Images, Drawings & Charts (2:16)
- Vivify documents with visual and online elements.
8. Tables (1:41)
- Creating tables is a cinch. They're handy ways to schedule parent conferences or show science lab results.
9. Web Clipboard (1:26)
- Save your pre-fab bits and pieces of documents for use in other files.
10. Tools (3:27)
- Use these uber-slick options to take document creation to the next level. It's easy, with a little guidance.
11. Add-ons (1:49)
- Install and use various little programs that help you do even more, more easily, with your documents.
12. Modes (2:08)
- Learn when to choose and how to use editing, suggesting, or viewing modes.
13. Sharing & Permissions (2:02)
- Share documents with others and set parameters about who can do what. Let parents only read a newsletter, but allow students to peer edit a classmate's first draft.
14. Collaborating & Comments (2:36)
- Google offers several ways to collaborate on documents. Learn to use them now!
15. Revision History (2:05)
- Keep track of changes to files and who made them, and revert documents to previous versions.
Total course run-time: 31:51