This A Matter of Prejudice worksheet also includes:
Kate Chopin's moving short story, "A Matter of Prejudice" prompts a discussion of the effects of prejudice and discrimination. After reading the story, class members use evidence from the story and their own experience to consider the matter of prejudice.
- Ask class members with knowledge of the language to translate the French passages
- Cut the story pieces into strips, distribute the strips to class members, and ask them to use context clues to reassemble the story
- Readers may need extra guidance to track the theme throughout the story; therefore, prompt them to take notes or fill out a thematic graphic organizer
- Chopin's gentle and moving story encourages thoughtful reflection
- The reading passage is divided into chunks to help with group reading, or for guiding struggling readers
- Provides additional short stories with similar themes to round out a unit on characterization