This A Wizard of Earthsea: Biography lesson plan also includes:
Begin a study of A Wizard of Earthsea by looking closely at biographical information about the author, Ursula K. Le Guin, and previewing the text. Pupils listen to an audio guide and take notes for discussion. Next, the class reads two essays jigsaw style and discusses the relationship between Le Guin's biography and the text. Finally, after a read-aloud of the first paragraph, individuals write a quick one-page paper on the included topic. A homework assignment is also provided.
- Comes with reading materials and provides a prompt for writing and homework
- Incorporates discussion and writing
- Try out the engaging audio guide as a review tool or as an extra support for English language learners
- Note that the audio guide does summarize the book, so you may wish to only play a selection from the beginning
- Some pupils will need more scaffolding for the writing assignment
- You will find the reading selections in the reader's guide toolbar along the right side of the webpage with the titles "Introduction" and "About the Author," rather than the titles listed in the plan