This Apply Taxes, Tips, and Discounts Using a Proportion and Scale Factor video also includes:
Everyone loves a sale, but they need to know how to find the new price with the scale factor and proportions. The scale factor is like the key needed to find that missing piece of the puzzle. Show your learners how to find the scale factor by dividing and unlock the missing part of the proportion. But wait! The answer is not the final answer; learners must remember that the discount needs to be subtracted from the original cost.
- Use other lessons from this series of videos about proportions for more practice with percents.
- If you aren't logged in to Learnzillion, you will be prompted to create a free account to access all materials for this resource
- Learners create a receipt to organize the steps along the way; have them calculate the tax themselves as the video does it for them
- A bar model is used to check the reasonableness of the answer by estimating
- Video mentions tax and tip, but there are no problems that show these examples
- Does not show how to use cross product as a method to solve
- No additional examples