This Arctic Impacts lesson plan also includes:
How do scientists look at a crater and know the material that hit as well as the speed and direction it was traveling? The lesson allows scholars to calculate and graph variables associated with craters. Then, they apply their theories to a specific crater at El'gygytgyn. Finally, pupils compare the size of the El'gygytgyn crater to their own areas to better understand the scope.
- Offer extra credit for anyone who collects micro-meteorites
- Lesson best fits in an astronomy or solar system unit
- Relies on prior knowledge of impact craters
- Main website referenced offers multiple language options for ELLs
- Collaborative assignment provides clear instructions for each member to complete equal amounts of work