This “As the War Turns": Exploring the Drama of the Civil War activities & project also includes:
As part of their study of the American Civil War, class groups investigate Civil War casualties, medicine and disease, conscription, prisons, the life of a soldier, and Civil War spies. Then they script and perform a soap opera drama on their topic.
- Present a mini-lesson on the soap opera format including clips from several popular shows
- Some class members may not be familiar with the soap opera format
- Each soap opera team is provided with an introduction to their topic, primary source documents, images, and debriefing questions
- The plan is richly detailed and carefully scaffolded
- A plan appropriate for eighth graders is also included