This Assessment Task 6.G.4 activity & project also includes:
Put young mathematicians' problem-solving skills to the test with this geometry activity. Provided with a context involving the painting of a chest in the shape of a rectangular prism, they must determine possible dimensions of the chest given a range of surface areas that the paint can cover.
- Offer this activity as a learning center during a geometry unit on surface area
- Have students work collaboratively with a partner solving the problem, allowing time for them to share and compile their solutions as a whole class
- For students needing extra support, provide them with a table that helps them to organize their work
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Provides a list questions to use when monitoring and assessing student work
- The open-ended story problem challenges student abilities