This At the Head of Her Class, and Homeless worksheet also includes:
What does it take to overcome obstacles in life? Learners read about a high school student who demonstrates some of the character traits that prove useful when facing adversity. Class members respond to questions about the article's content and the general concept of overcoming adversity.
- Add this into a unit built around the topic of overcoming adversity
- Convert some of the discussion questions into essay prompts
- For students in your class who have experienced or are experiencing homelessness, this article could be difficult to read and analyze
- Includes a copy of the full NPR article
- Questions require higher-level thinking and textual evidence