Poetry is often referred to as compressed speech—compressed because poets choose their words for their sound, as well as their meaning, and carefully arrange these words to create the maximum effect. Introduce class members to the literary terms that describe the many devices that poets use to create their special effects.
- Have class members view the presentation out of class
- Assign one term to each class member, have this individual find an example of the term in a poem, and create a poster that includes the term, the definition, the example, and an illustration
- The language and the examples are highly academic; therefore, the presentation is most appropriated for high school or college level classes
- The definitions are accompanied by examples
- The 56 text-heavy slides are very academic in nature