This Bathymetry: Mapping Mystery Bay lesson plan also includes:
Topographic maps show elevation on the ground level while bathymetry maps show the depth of features below sea level. Young scientists use simple tools to measure the hidden surface inside a box. This data helps them draw their own bathymetry maps.
- Reverse the activity - give pupils a shoe box, play dough, and a bathymetric map and have them create the surface based on the map
- Remind scholars of the safety rules when using sharp objects before passing out the skewers
- Relies on prior knowledge of coordinate systems and grids
- Required materials are reusable—great for the budget conscious!
- Appropriate and challenging for a wide range of ages and grades