What happens next? Young readers examine the details in a passage from Bridge to Terabithia and use these specifics to craft predictions about what will happen next to Jesse and Leslie in Paterson's fantasy.
20 Views 16 Downloads CCSS: Adaptable
- Have individuals identify the tone of the passage by highlighting the words that they feel set the tone. Instruct readers to change these words so that a different tone is created and ask them how the change affects their prediction
- Provide groups with additional passages and have them develop predictions independently before they share their predictions and their rationale
- Although designed to accompany a reading of Katherine Paterson's Bridge to Terabithia, the approach is appropriate for any story
- Requires individual copies of the worksheets and of Paterson's novel
- Includes modeling, guided practice, independent practice exercises as well as a vocabulary building exercise
- The instructor identifies how to use the text to make predictions rather than having readers identify the steps they use for crafting predictions