This Caesar Cipher—Code Crackers lesson plan also includes:
It appears like jibberish. Class members decode a seemingly random scramble of letters using letter analysis to break the code in the first lesson of two on code crackers. Using a Caesar cipher and the shifter, pupils encode and decode messages. Pairs then reflect upon their experiences and determine advantages and disadvantages to Caesar ciphers.
- Show a video such as the SciShow on crytography
- The class should have a basic understanding of coded messages
- Requires access to research or information on Julius Caesar
- Contains questions for the teacher to reflect upon after the lesson
- Includes suggestions for extensions