Coffee, anyone? After a quick pick-me-up, you can donate your cup to your class' calorimetry experiment! Specific heat scholars begin their study of enthalpy though a video from JFR Science. Topics covered include the equation needed to make calorimetry calculations, how to set up a coffee cup calorimeter, and endothermic versus exothermic reactions.
- Show the video before heading to the lab for a calorimetry experiment
- Take a suggestion from the narrator by backing up the video with practice problems and graphing
- Pupils will need some background information on enthalpy and specific heat before beginning calorimetry
- Gives clear explanations for each step of the experiment and calculations
- The resource points out important tips, such as changing the sign on the Q value when showing heat moving from the reaction to the system