Conduct the cooperative learning strategy, carousel brainstorming, with the help of a step-by-step plan for implementation. Scholars work collaboratively to think of, and write, information and thoughts that come to mind when discussing a topic. Each topic is presented on a sheet of chart paper in which learners circulate around the room to list what they know without repeating information from others. A grand discussion of reading and responding to each item written on the chart paper concludes the activity.
- Model each part of the brainstorming activity and answer questions to ensure comprehension
- Utilize the brainstorming activity with a just-for-fun topic prior to attempting a curriculum based topic
- Highlight or circle information that class members deem most important to guide further discussion
- Requires chart paper, markers, and a timer
- If using the strategy with young children, an aide may be necessary to write their responses
- Provides example topics and subtopics
- The activity procedure is written in detail