This Celebrating African American/Black Leaders in History: Their Religions and Their Legacy lesson plan also includes:
- Informational Text
- Join to access all included materials
Kick start Black History Month with a fantastic resource that blends a study of prominent African American leaders in history with information on different religions. Beginning with a brainstorm and then leading into a collaborative timeline activity, small groups read and research the biographical and historical information of such noteworthy figures as Malcolm X, Sojourner Truth, and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., as well as the influence of their religious beliefs on their activism and their contributions to society. They then arrange themselves into chronological order according to the accomplishments of the figures they researched, and peer teach their group's findings to their classmates.
- Instructional steps for class activity may be confusing at first, but you can adjust to accommodate the number of learners in your classroom and the size of your classroom
- Requires structure for group work and how to summarize research
- Includes very informative handouts regarding major African American leaders and descriptions of major world religions
- Hands-on activity that will both engage learners and develop their communication and research skills