This Chestnut Blight lesson plan also includes:
Fungi can have a destructive effect on the function of living organisms. Learners conduct an experiment to model the blockage of vascular tissue on a plant and grow fungi in a petri dish. They then relate the outcomes of the lab to the fungal infection of the American Chestnut tree.
- Use a pair-share strategy for processing the article information
- Lab setup requires a petri dish with nutrient agar, clear tape, red food coloring, celery with leaves, marker, ruler, magnifying lens, and scalpel
- This is the third lesson in a series of 10
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Teacher guide includes detailed instructions for developing the lesson and preparing pupils for the lab
- Provides suggestions for modification for ELL pupils