Young children put their curious minds to work while they lead an open inquiry science experiment. Using analytical and classification skills, learners sort seeds by colors, measurements, sizes, and any other traits they can discern.
1 Collection 63 Views 36 Downloads CCSS: Adaptable NGSS: Adaptable
- Use the lesson as an extension to a science unit on plants
- Plant the seeds and have class members collect the data
- First graders should have prior knowledge of classification, and should have experience using a ruler, balance scale, thermometer, and bar graph
- A variety of materials are required for this activity including seeds; larger seeds such as pumpkin, are easier for little ones to handle
- Applicable to a STEM Curriculum
- All supporting materials are available, including a rubric to use for assessment