This Classroom Activities: Variations in the Clam Species Clamys Sweetus activity & project also includes:
What better substitute for a real clam than M&M's ... or Reese's Pieces! Young scholars simulate an experiment with clams using popular candies. They consider the traits of each candy, such as shell hardness and color, and which would give a greater survival advantage.
- Review key terms such as evolution, genetic variation, and survival of the fittest prior to the investigation
- Activity requires a specific set of materials and time for preparation
- Consider allergies before using foods containing peanuts
- Includes a detailed teaching guide offering suggestions for implementing the different parts of the activity
- Provides handouts for pupils to organize and analyze their data