This Comparing and Contrasting lesson plan also includes:
Read and compare a passage from The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis and "The Monkey Garden" by Sandra Cisneros. Beginning with The Magician's Nephew, the class reads each story, underlining lines that relate to the thematic significance of secret places. Class members then write a paragraph for each story, connecting the stories together at the end of the second paragraph.
- Use as a formative or final assessment in language arts class
- Have incoming seventh or eighth graders complete the assignment over the summer and submit their essays on the first day of school
- Does not include necessary passages, but they should not be difficult to find
- Includes an outline for paragraph writing
- Does not include a rubric