This Congruence vs. Similarity lesson plan also includes:
Congruence, similarity, and alikeness are ways to describe relationships between figures. While congruence and similarity are common geometric terms, the writer coins the term alikeness to include one-dimensional stretch transformations. Using the one-dimensional stretch as a transformation allows for the discussion of similarities among figures such as rectangles and squares.
- Incorporate as an introduction to similarity of two-dimensional figures
- Use the formative assessment questions as an exit ticket to check for understanding
- Builds on pupils' understanding of congruence and transformations
- Provides ideas for extension and accommodations
- Includes an answer key and suggested questioning strategies