This Constant Dimensions lesson plan also includes:
You can't often tell pupils that units don't matter ... but in this case, you'd be right! Math scholars discover the magic of the constant dimensions of a rectangle through a creative lesson. Partners perform measurements of rectangles using non-standard tools, then determine that the length-to-width ratio is the same using a scatter plot of their data.
- Provide interesting non-standard measuring tools such as pennies, candy, or paper clips
- Take the lesson further by assigning multiple rectangles for measurement, then having pairs compare the data for each rectangle
- Print enough copies of the worksheet so each pair has one to share
- Make sure rulers are available for each team
- The activity is unique in its approach to teaching dimensions
- Included assessments are simple to execute and grade