This Cubed Cans lesson plan also includes:
Why do we pack foods in cylindrical cans and then pack them into boxes with wasted space? Scholars explore the relationship of volume in cylinders and the volume of rectangular prisms. Then they create rectangular prisms with similar volumes and figure surface areas.
- Discuss the relationship between the dimensions of a rectangular prism with the same volume and surface area
- Reverse the lesson and have pupils select a rectangular prism to turn into a cylinder with the same volume
- Relies on prior knowledge of volume and surface area for both cylinders and rectangular prisms
- Offers hands-on lessons that apply to life
- Includes teacher reflection questions to increase teaching competence
- Designed for NCTM and Common Core Standards