Why Lesson Planet?
Dreams can be mysterious, but they can also be a great start to a creative writing piece. Invite your pupils to use their nighttime or daytime dreams as inspiration for writing. After brainstorming and sharing with small groups, class members share their final products.
- To prepare for this exercise, have kids keep dream journals for a few days; when they wake up, they can jot down a few key points they remember about their dreams
- Add this into a creative writing unit or a unit based around a book that has a dream scene in it
- Since some kids may not ever remember their dreams, make sure to point out that they can focus on daydreams as well
- The exercise requires pupils to share and discuss their ideas with on another, in small groups and with the whole class
- A graphic organizer for brainstorming is provided, as is a page for writing down a draft
- Graphic Organizer