Examine US involvement in World War II by taking a close look at the speech FDR delivered after Pearl Harbor was bombed. After reading the speech, class members respond to a series of text-dependent questions and jot down ideas for a few discussion questions.
- Supplement your unit on WW II with analysis of this speech
- Support learners by working through the speech together first, perhaps marking the text and discussing the evidence necessary to answer the text-based questions
- The discussion questions could also be turned into essay prompts
- A copy of the speech takes up the first few pages of the resource
- Includes questions that require learners to use specific pieces of textual evidence and higher-level thinking skills