During the aftermath of 9/11, a firehouse in New York received letters, cards, drawings, and tributes, all addressed to "Dear Hero." Middle schoolers study images of these tributes and discuss the qualities of a hero in a lesson focused on the extraordinary acts of first responders on 9/11.
- Assign the podcast and FAQ for homework before beginning the lesson
- Lead a discussion about popular superheroes versus everyday heroes
- Connect to a lesson about 9/11 or when discussing American heroes
- Include more images of artistic tributes, as the lesson provides only a few
- Bridges well to a language arts narrative writing assignment
- Includes art, writing, and research into one lesson