This Didn’t We Already Learn That Pattern? lesson plan also includes:
Just how many toothpicks does the pattern take? After watching a video of someone building a pattern with toothpicks, groups create methods to find the number of toothpicks needed to accomplish that task. Groups either use explicit expressions or recursive formulas to write their rules and compare them to other groups.
- Have the class create a graph of the number of toothpicks needed for each level
- Assumes class members are familiar with linear equations
- Requires a box of toothpicks for each group
- Contains links to directions for instructional strategies
- Includes sample patterns
- Does not contain the mentioned handouts