This Difference of Squares lesson plan also includes:
After a few examples, your class with be asking if this is math—or magic! Begin the transition to algebraic thinking through a self-guided tour using the difference of squares. Young mathematicians discover the relationship between squares of consecutive and non-consecutive numbers and work toward creating an equation using algebraic symbols to explain their results.
- Have class members check in at key stages of the lesson so you can move them quickly to the next step
- Incorporate some of the included extensions to add a visual element to the lesson
- Consider making small working groups for the lesson so pupils can bounce ideas off of one another as they work to explain their results
- Samples of actual student solutions provide helpful insight for teachers doing the activity for the first time
- The teacher's guide contains tips for customizing the lesson based upon the needs of the class