This Discovering the Area Formula for Circles—Apple Pi lesson plan also includes:
Need an activity that brings your class' understanding of the area formula full circle? The second installment in a two-part series involving geometric calculations further develops the young mathematician's measurement, approximation, and unit selection abilities. Take advantage of a thoughtfully prepared teacher's guide to make planning a snap.
- Assess learning at the end of the week using the innovative pairs circle hunt included in the teacher's guide
- Have learners make a short list of professions they think use the area formula as part of their jobs
- Complete the activity after finishing Part 1 in the series
- Ask the class in advance to bring circular objects to school for measurement
- The resource presents a variety of methods students can use to estimate area
- Reflection questions at the end of the lesson help both teacher and pupil assess learning