This Distillation of Rubbing Alcohol (2-Propanol) and Water Mixture lesson plan also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
Oil refining uses fractional distillation to separate the various fractions of crude oil. Scholars perform fractional distillation to separate rubbing alcohol from water. The second lesson in a seven-part series focuses on the process and properly identifying and measuring fractions.
- Walk around the room helping scholars properly identify each fraction of liquid
- Remember the boiling point varies based on the atmospheric pressure
- Use care when working with open flames and alcohol
- Diagram shows ideal setup for equipment
- Contains notes to teachers about when to expect each fraction