This Distributing and Factoring Using Area lesson plan also includes:
Connect the distributive property to an area model. A conceptually based activity gives learners a concrete model to represent the distributive property. Scholars draw expressions as rectangles that demonstrate the distributive property of multiplication.
- Use manipulatives such as algebra cubes to create the area models
- Reverse the model to introduce factoring
- Requires a strong understanding of area models
- Provides a concrete reference for an abstract concept
- Includes questioning strategies for before, during, and after the lesson