This Don't Freeze the Engine—Making Sense of Percent lesson plan also includes:
Add a little bit of this and a little bit of that to get the right mixture. Using an antifreeze chart, learners determine the mixture needed to protect an engine at different temperatures. Pupils calculate the amount to drain out of a system to protect the engine in colder temperatures using the chart and equations. The lesson is the second in a series of two on mixtures.
- Invite an automotive mechanic to come talk about testing of antifreeze levels
- Using the chart and information of premixed antifreeze containers, check to see if the percent concentrations agree
- Individuals should be comfortable with working mixture problems
- Provides an answer key that shows the appropriate calculations
- Includes suggestions for extensions