This Driving Rationally lesson plan also includes:
Calculating average speeds is not as simple as finding an average. The lesson introduces class members to rational functions by presenting a problem about finding an average speed for the rest of a trip. Pupils develop an equation to find the average speed and graph the equation.
- Provide the class with a graph of a rational function and label features of the graph, giving definitions for those parts along the way
- Assumes individuals are familiar with distance-rate-time problems
- Requires access to graphing calculators or other graphing technology
- Provides a presentation to guide the lesson
- The handouts are also in Word and allow for modifications