This Early Conservation Philosophies and Indigenous Peoples lesson plan also includes:
John Muir established Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks and also as founded the Sierra Club, yet many indigenous people spoke out against his idea of conservation. The second lesson in a four-part series discusses John Muir and two sides to the debate over how to best maintain natural areas. Scholars read an article then discuss it in a Socratic Seminar.
- Set the room up with pupils sitting in a circle facing each other; the teacher should be in the circle and should use the same type of chair as the students to help foster the idea of being an equal in the discussion
- Be very clear with the rules of the discussion and engaging all participants
- You can assign reading homework to reduce class time
- Includes prompts in case the discussion gets stuck
- Offers a couple ideas to evaluate learning