This Electrical Engineers lesson plan also includes:
Explore the relationship between electricity and magnetism with this fun science investigation. Working in small groups, young scientists attach magnets to toy cars and race them down ramps through coils of wire in order to measure the induced voltage. This procedure is repeated by releasing the cars at different heights, with students graphing the resulting data in order to determine the relationship between voltage and magnet speed. Include this lesson plan as a conclusion to a science unit on electricity and magnetism and deepen children's understanding of these fundamental concepts.
- Experiment engages children in learning about electricity and magnetism
- Images are included that clearly show the experimental setup used in this lesson
- A series of four mini lessons are included for building prior knowledge about electricity and magnetism
- Includes links to online simulations that reinforce the concept of electromagnetic induction
- Experiment requires materials not found in the classroom and involves significant teacher preparation
- Lesson calls for a viewing of the Brain Pop video titled Electromagnetic Induction, which requires a subscription