This Ellipse Elements and Equations lesson plan also includes:
Challenge your class to provide an ellipse when given two points and two lines. The instructional activity presents both graphical and analytical methods to writing the equation of an ellipse. The class investigates its components, how they relate to the equation, and then use the foci and directrices to create the equation of ellipses.
- Go over the definition of an ellipse and graphically show the relationships
- Develop a graphic organizer to identify and define the elements of an ellipse
- Individuals should know how to write the equation of a circle given the center and radius
- Provides answer keys for each handout
- Contains timing suggestions for each aspect of the lesson