Pupils explore evolution in a scientific manner as they research the theory and conduct an experiment demonstrating evolutionary changes in modern-day beans and lentils to determine differences from those in the past. They complete an assessment and participate in a discussion to conclude the lesson plan.
- Assign the class a research topic related to evolution and the human species to investigate
- Do not use lima beans for the experiment because they may clog holes in the apparatus
- Ensure there is ample time to conduct the experiment as it will require two class periods
- Uses common materials as part of the experiment and cleanup is minimal
- Information is not biased, but it provides a good scientific rationale for the evolution of organisms