This Excerpt from Walden worksheet also includes:
Beware of all enterprises that require new technology. Not exactly his words but perhaps the sentiments of Henry David Thoreau, one of the first to unplug. After reading a excerpt from Walden, individuals find evidence in the passage to answer the question of what Thoreau considers the costs and benefits of technology.
- The worksheet may be used as part of a study of Walden or to launch a discussion of technology
- After reading and discussing the passage, ask class members to eschew all technology for an entire weekend and keep a journal of their experience and insights
- Some readers may struggle with the reading; therefore, consider asking class members to read the passage silently, and then reading the passage aloud to the class
- Discussion questions are included with the worksheet
- No provisions are included for struggling readers