This Executive Order 9981: Truman Desegregates the Armed Forces lesson plan also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
To most modern Americans, the idea that many aspects of society were once segregated is astonishing. Explore Truman's decision to desegregate the armed forces with your high schoolers. The first two days of this three-day plan are spent reading, annotating, and clarifying four documents. On the third day, small groups discuss the material. Pupils synthesize the information by composing a letter to the editor.
- Includes reading materials, a writing prompt, and a rubric
- Small group discussion format (Save the Last Word) is clearly structured
- Lesson procedures are somewhat repetitive
- The readings are excerpts rather than whole documents
- One step is to give a quick lecture; however, the lecture material is not included