This Explore the Properties of a Parabola and Practice Writing Its Equation lesson plan also includes:
- Explore the Properties of a Parabola and Practice Writing Its Equation (.doc)
- Explore the Properties of a Parabola and Practice Writing Its Equation (.pptx)
- Parabola to Explore (.ggb)
- Parabola (.ggb)
- Parabola Activity Student Handout
- Parabola Independent Practice
- Parabola Independent Practice—Answer Key
- Join to access all included materials
See how writing equations for parabolas is all about distances. Young mathematicians measure distances of line segments drawn on the graph of a parabola. Using the relationships they find in the segments, they write equations for parabolas given the focus and directrix.
- Have learners use geometry software to verify relationships
- Pupils need rulers and a graphing calculator
- Resource only covers equations of the form x^2 = 4Py.
- Includes a PowerPoint presentation for the lesson
- Provides worksheets for each portion of the activity