This Family Stories and the Oral Tradition lesson plan also includes:
How well do you know stories told in your family? Could you recite them by heart? Middle schoolers study the importance of the oral tradition by telling a partner a story, having the partner recite it back, and then interviewing a family member about the same story.
- Have partners choose a movie they have both seen, and see if they can retell it independently with similar or different details
- Encourage learners to record their parents or grandparents telling family stories
- Lesson requires a story that all students know well; choose a story that you have read in class if learners have different experiences
- Comes with links that differentiate and extend the instruction
- Connects well to studies of cultural holidays and traditions