This Figurative Language and Word Choice: A Closer Look at Bud, Not Buddy lesson plan also includes:
The difference between an average piece of writing and an unforgettable piece of writing can lie in the author's word choice. The figurative language in Chapter 2 of Christopher Paul Curtis's Newbery Medal winner, Bud, Not Buddy, is the focus of a series of exercises that shows readers how word choice can affect tone and meaning.
- Have class members generate their own list of rules
- Assign the writing activity as homework or an individual assignment after your lesson
- The second session in a 12-lesson unit study of Curtis's novel
- Seventeen-page booklet includes specific directions for the activities, discussion questions, worksheets, and graphic organizers
- Connects well to your existing novel unit