This Find Area by Breaking Down a Rectangle into Smaller Rectangles video also includes:
Explore with young mathematicians how large rectangles and be broken into smaller ones when finding area. This process is clearly modeled with visual examples, each with multiple possible solutions. Consider pausing the video and allowing children to discuss, in small groups, the different approaches for breaking up the rectangles in each example. Extend the lesson by formally introducing the distributive property, which is clearly demonstrated in this resource, though it is not explicitly mentioned.
- If you aren't logged in to Learnzillion, you will be prompted to create a free account to access all materials for this resource
- Begins lesson with a review of area
- Explains a common mistake for learners to avoid when finding the area of a rectangle
- Video is available in a slide show format
- Additional opportunities to practice this skill are required to support student learning
- Teacher must explain why you would break a large rectangle into smaller ones