This Find the Area of a Rectangle by Counting Columns and Rows video also includes:
When finding the area of rectangles, understanding the arrangement of unit squares in rows and columns is essential. The visual models included in this instructional video help to clearly define rows and columns for young mathematicians, using multiple examples to model how they are used to skip count when determining the area of a rectangles. Though intended as the fourth video in this five-part series, it would more appropriately serve as the third lesson, preceding an introduction to using multiplication to find area.
- If you aren't logged in to Learnzillion, you will be prompted to create a free account to access all materials for this resource
- Provides a review of how to use tiling to find area
- Demonstrates how the area of a rectangle does not change if the shape is rotated
- A slide show version of the video is available for download
- Teacher must provide practice problems to support students with learning objectives