This Find the Area of a Rectangle by Counting Unit Squares video also includes:
Take the first step in teaching young mathematicians about area with the initial video in this five-part series. Beginning with a review of area and key terms related to area measurement, the instructor goes on to clearly model how to find the area of rectangles by counting unit squares. Extend the lesson by passing out grid paper and asking children to draw different rectangles and determine their areas. An excellent resource to supplement an introductory lesson on area.
- If you aren't logged in to Learnzillion, you will be prompted to create a free account to access all materials for this resource
- Clearly distinguishes between measuring the area and perimeter of shapes
- Demonstrates multiple strategies for adding up unit squares
- Models how to correctly label area measurements
- Instructional video is also available as a slide show presentation
- Teacher must provide an opportunity for learners to practice finding the area of rectangles