This Find the Area of Polygons with More than 4 Sides video also includes:
Strange and unique shapes are found everywhere in the world around us. The final video in this series teaches young learners to break complex shapes into rectangles when finding their area. This process is clearly modeled as the instructor works through multiple examples of irregular shapes. Consider pausing the video and allowing children to discuss other possible ways of dividing each complex figure into simple rectangles. Extend the lesson by passing out figures cut from grid paper and asking students to find their area.
- If you aren't logged in to Learnzillion, you will be prompted to create a free account to access all materials for this resource
- A review of area is included at the beginning of the lesson
- Warns students of a common mistake to avoid when finding the area of complex figures
- Instructional video is available in both English and Spanish
- Requires the teacher to provide additional practice using this new math skill