Examine culture and the relationship it has to identity with a reading of Amy Tan's "Fish Cheeks." Class members read the story and then respond to a series of text-based and discussion questions.
207 Views 185 Downloads CCSS: Adaptable
- Use this in a unit on identity; a nice text pairing might be one of Sandra Cisneros' vignettes from The House on Mango Street
- Read and annotate the story as a class
- The discussion questions could be used to prepare learners for a whole-class discussion or as longer-form essay questions
- The questions are simply listed on the last page, so you may wish to suggest that students write on separate sheets of paper or create your own worksheet with the questions
- Includes the story under examination
- Questions ask for textual support and some require higher-level thinking