This For the Sake of Argument: Writing Persuasively to Craft Short, Evidence-Based Editorials lesson plan also includes:
What is mightier: the pen or the sword? Scholars learn the power of persuasion through editorial writing. Complete with graphic organizers, rubrics, and an interview with an expert in the field, learners first explore what an editorial is, examine models, and write an editorial on a topic they are passionate about.
- Have writers submit editorials to the local or school newspaper for publication
- Use a form of technology for pupils to share their ideas such as Padlet, AnswerGarden, or a blog
- Consider setting aside time to work with individuals who need extra help
- Great video with tips from the perspective of an editorial page editor from the NYTimes
- Resource contains helpful graphic organizers and hyperlinks to more resources
- Hyperlinked rubric for editorials will help with grading