No matter what subject you're teaching, you'll find some fun and innovative ideas for using newspapers in your classroom with a helpful resource. Based on Getting the Most Out of Teaching with Newspapers by Rebecca Olien, the series of lessons, projects, worksheets, and instructional guides culminate in a class newspaper with different journalism teams creating various parts of the paper.
- A great project for cross-curricular lessons between math, science, social studies, language arts, and art
- Use in a journalism class before designing their own school newspaper
- Lesson is designed for upper elementary learners, but would work well with middle schoolers, and even high schoolers reviewing informational text features and concepts
- Comes with a plethora of great ideas and tips for the classroom, including ways to use old newspapers, extension ideas, and connections to math, science, and language arts
- Includes a glossary for common journalism terms at the end