What goes into the design and testing of a stent? The video highlights the testing involved in stent design to keep the blood flowing to the heart. The biomedical engineers explain the experimental and computational simulation methods of testing the stent. The purpose of the testing, like in STEM activities, is to improve the design.
- Lead a discussion on what can be tested physically and what should be tested with computer models
- Research different stent designs that doctors currently use
- The class should be familiar with the definition of a blocked artery
- The resource provides different images in order to fully understand the purpose and action of a stent
- The engineers share personal information, so pupils can better relate to them
- The image of open heart surgery may be too graphic for some viewers