This Going the Distance for Circles lesson plan also includes:
Publicize how distance is related to circle equations. Using the distance formula, teachers show young mathematicians how to develop the equation of a general circle. The class becomes aware of how to find the center and the radius from the equation and how to find the equation given a graph of a circle. Working in pairs, pupils start a brochure on conic sections by including the information about circles.
- Provide additional skills practice in finding the equation of a circle
- Present a lesson on the cross-sections of a cone to introduce the types of conic sections
- Requires access to desktop publishing software
- Contains a presentation to guide the direct instruction
- Provides suggestions to extend the lesson
- Mentions a template for the brochure that is not included